Am Mittwoch, den 27.07.2005, 16:48 -0400 schrieb Joe Auerbach:
> Here's my situation.  I've got 2 different teris of users.  One set
> needs a graphical interface and one set really does not.  Is there a way
> I can configure ltsp so that person a gets "SCREEN_01 = shell" and
> another gets "SCREEN_01  =  StartX :  SCREEN_02  = telnet"?
>
> That's the just of it, anyway.  Some users just don't need and should
> not have a graphical login.
>
> Also, here's a question that may solve the problem.  Say you're running
> startX as your login and your bash_profile basically runs an ssh
> script.  Does gnome even start?  Is there a way I can use the graphical
> login splash without using a graphical login (so everyone can have a
> pretty login screen and some of them are then bumped to a command line
> telnet interface)?

Just as a concept...

If you define a graphical session (which can be done on a per-user-base)
ans define some users to be "xfce", some be "cmdline" users...
That cmdline, instead of starting up a real session, could (as it would
be running on the server) ssh over to the client and issue something
like "openvt" with process /bin/bash on console /dev/tty8 with flags
"change to that console on startup, and kill it on shutdown"

On return of that ssh thing (so at the point that the user closes the
session) the "window manager" emulation shell script would terminate,
causing the X server on the client to reload the graphical login screen
(and activating the right virtual console for graphical mode) ready for
the next user to login.

I did not do this, it's just the way I'd try to in case I had your
needs.

HTH

Anselm