Joe Auerbach wrote:
> In case anyone's vague on how to do this:
>
> to turn off iptables temporarily (for testing): "service iptables stop"
>
> to permanantly disable iptables (if the above works): "service iptables
> stop", "chkconfig iptables off"
>
> Jim McQuillan wrote:
>
>> Try turning off iptables.  It is probably blocking tftp traffic. And if
>> so, then it will also be blocking your NFS and XDMCP traffic.

Hi Joe... That will work, but only on RedHat or RedHat-based distros.

A more generic manipulation of the firewall rules that would work on any
Linux distro would be:

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -F

This will first set the policies on the input, output and forward chains
to accept all packets and then flush any currently established rules
leaving only the ACCEPT all packet policy for each chain. Flushing the
rules is last incase one is doing this remotely - we don't want to flush
the rules first leaving only the default DROP or REJECT default
policies. :)   (ask me how I know... lol!)

I'd then follow that up with a comment to "...check your specific
distro's documentation for a more permanent solution to disable your
firewall"

I only bring this up since I am one of the crazies who have decided to
run LTSP on Gentoo. A land where RedHat rules don't apply. :)

Hope this helps and I hope it as received in the spirit in which it was
written.

Cheers!

-
Bill Arlofski