Pete,

>   The fact that you are excluding /home worries me. Are you going to
> have different users on the machines?

I have had some requests to setup terminal servers for a couple of
local ngo's. These servers would have different user accounts.
I would like to do it using a controlled enviroment.

I'm only running one public terminal server. It servers a library and
a group of terminals used by educational staff. The user accounts are
not personalized. I call this script from Xstartup so ever new login
gets a clean account.
*******************
#! /bin/sh

#group 1001:library
#group 1002:cataleg
#group 1004:pc-tutor

USER_ID=`getent passwd $USER|cut -f 3 -d :`
HOMEDIR=`getent passwd $USER|cut -f 6 -d :`

#only renew homes of users above 1999
if [ "$USER_ID" -ge "2000" ]; then
        GROUP_ID=`getent passwd $USER|cut -f 4 -d :`
        rm -fr $HOMEDIR
        mkdir $HOMEDIR
        tar xf /etc/restore/$GROUP_ID.tar --directory $HOMEDIR

#.sversionrc ooffice uses absolut path
cat > $HOMEDIR/.sversionrc << EOF
[versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.1.4=file://$HOMEDIR/.openoffice/1.1.4
EOF

        chown -R $USER.$GROUP_ID $HOMEDIR
        #chmod go-rx $HOMEDIR
fi

*******************

> Bad things can happen if users/groups don't match.
I'm finding that out :)
At least one of the reason the update with the freenx server didn't
work is because of user accounts.
freenx wrote in /etc/passwd but that update was suppressed by
push-update.exclude
So yes, Bad things do happen.
Perhaps there is a way of seperating the user accounts from the rest
of the system.
With these ngo's I would have different users and file shareing too.
It would be nice to have some sort of abstraction that clearly defines
'user world' and system. Perhaps ldap and samba could do this? I've
never used ldap.

Chris.