Hello Tom,

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 02:25 -0600, Tom Griffing wrote:
> Marvin;
>
> This is sort of where I'm going with this, but with a twist.  You have
> configured it to combine multiple displays into a single X session.  I
> want to run a separate X server for each display and attach additional
> keyboards/mice so each monitor/keyboard/mouse can provide separate
> sessions for multiple users.
>
> By default, the Linux kernel combines all PS/2 and USB keyboard input
> into a single stream for the console.  The "Ruby" kernel extention keeps
> the signals separate and allows each to be mapped to a unique X server.
> It is detailed here:
>
>     http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/about_bruby.html

This is cool!  But I don't have any need of this kind of setup as of the
moment.  Likewise, how can I connect my mouses and keyboards if my PC
has a single PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports?  Do I need an additional PCI
cards that supports multiple PS/2 interfaces?

> The combination of LTSP + Ruby would enable a single client to
> support as many as 16 users and dramatically lower the per-seat user
> cost.  Cost has been a nusiance, since the cost of new equipment for
> an LTSP terminal is greater than an entry-level Dell PC (one client
> pointed this out).  I talk about "Low TCO", but lower hardware cost
> is a strong argument.  I'd like to have that argument on my side   ;-)

I disagree on this.  I can even buy a surplus or second hand PC but
still usable and perfect for my intended LTSP setup as a thin client
here in our place not more than USD 100.  I was even able to buy a Sun
JavaStation JK (Krups) at USD 17 and an IBM NetVista 2200 at USD 62.
That is, only the IBM NetVista 2200 thin clients that are currently
being used because until now, I can't still make my Sun JavaStation JK
(Krups) work and I even don't have time to configure it.

Marvin