Well, it takes more than a driver.

you need the firmware, and you need to put the kernel on something, along with an initrd. And, you need some code to detect and initialize the wireless nic, and set the parameters, such as essid, wep keys, etc.

Jim.

David Howdle wrote:
Thanks. So in theory, I could compile Centrino wireless support into the
wireless LTSP kernel.

Jim McQuillan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/02/06 1:57:07 pm >>>
Well, Centrino wireless comes with the same network booting problems that all the other wireless chipsets do. You can't boot via the wireless nic. You have to have a kernel stored locally to boot from.

The other big problem is we aren't allowed to re-distribute the firmware, so we can't really make a nice neat package that can be burned to a cdrom or usb memory stick.

It would be nice if someone whipped up a script that combines the kernel, initrd and proprietary firmware. That way, we don't need to distribute the proprietary stuff. We'd just leave it up to the end user or sysadmin to do it.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

David Howdle wrote:
Jim,

Apologies. Centrino wireless.

Thanks.

Jim McQuillan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/02/06 1:49:19 pm >>>
David,

Centrino what ?

Are you talking about Centrino wireless? or are you talking about other features of the centrino chipset, like the Pentium-M ?

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

David Howdle wrote:
Hello All,

...just wondering if anyone out there has had a look at using Centrino with
LTSP??

Many thanks.