Am Freitag, den 17.03.2006, 10:56 +0100 schrieb Eilert:
> Strange things happening ;-)
>
> A new client doesn't want to let me read my own $home anymore. But it is
> possible to jump into sub-dirs and read and write from there. Changing
> rights didn't help.
>
> There are two programs I could't start in the past using this client,
> ksysguard and mc. What's more, it doesn't block me all the time.
> SOMETIMES - not regularly - it runs smoothly. I never found out why.
> Maybe you remember me asking this question half a year ago.
>
> Now I found that not any of the programs I start as owner of this
> directory will have access to my $home, only to sub-dirs of it. So, most
> apps run smoothly as long as they will read and save their files in subdirs.

My first bet would be one of the following two options
- permissions. Did you check the "sticky" etc. bits?
- Invalid directory entries - or weird ones like a file named "?". That
could get some software intrepreting the directory list out of its
track.

Just in doubt, could you provide a listing of "ls -la $dir"?

Will you be able to "cd" into that directory as user and/or root? Are
there any syslog / dmesg messages when trying to access the $home with
one of the programs refusing to work?

> The server has a Suse 9.1 on it, maybe you've heard anything?

<rant>Well, it's SuSE, you never know about their patches.</rant>

No facts that I know about, and I would rather not suspect SuSE being
the guilty party here. Although you could of course try accessing the
filesystem from a Knoppix CD: does that make a difference?

Regards,

Anselm