Father Peter wrote:
> Dear Jim,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>

>> I would go with the server version, and then install the
>> 'ubuntu-desktop' package which should take care of getting all the stuff
>> you need for workstation users. You could alternatively install the
>> 'kubuntu-desktop' to get KDE or 'xubuntu-desktop' to get xfce.
>>

> This is *exactly* what I mean by having to learn new names for things in
> Ubuntu.  Is there a glossary someplace, to translate the names they use?  Or
> are there in actuality, not that many to deal with?

They didn't rename anything.  'kubuntu-desktop' is a "meta package".
Installing it will force the installation of a whole bunch of things,
including the 'kde' package.

You could still just install 'kde' if you want, but if you want all the
goodies that people like for a desktop distribution, you'd really want
to just install the meta package.

It's there for convenience, not to trip people up.

> I was very surprised to learn that you use Ubuntu.  I had not really taken
> it that seriously, and have been waiting to see if it was going to have any
> kind of longevity, or whether it was going to be just another distro that
> comes in with a splash, and then just kind of disappears into oblivion; or
> gets bought out by some mammoth company that turns around and ruins it.  (I
> hope that doesn't happen with the Novell/SuSE buyout.)
>
> With your experience with the Ubuntu developers, do you have the impression
> that it will be around for while?  Do you have any insights about this?  Or
> should I rather ask, what is your impression of Ubuntu, having used it for a
> while?  (If you don't have time, or would rather not answer that, I
> understand.)

Ubuntu is a VERY serious distribution that, in my opinion, will be
around for a long time to come.

I've been to two of their developer meetings (Syndey and Montreal), and
I'll be at the next meeting in Paris starting the 18th of June.  Their
meetings are typically 5 or 6 days of VERY intense planning and
designing of their next release.  Everything is spec'd out, so that once
the meeting is over, projects can be assigned to developers, and they
know exactly what's expected of them.

I've also been to other distro developer meetings, and Ubuntu is by far,
the most organized.  With other distros, it's hard to even figure out
who's leading the project.  With Ubuntu, it's VERY clear that Mark
Shuttleworth is heading the organization, and Matt Zimmerman is the guy
making sure that things make technical sense.

Shuttleworth is funding Ubuntu, including flying 70 developers to their
dev meetings every 6 months, in places all over the world.  That's some
serious money being poured into this.  On top of that, they are building
a customer support center in Montreal, to handle professional support.
Doesn't sound like a fly-by-nite operation to me.

Jim.