As I mentioned elsewhere, I was mistaken - this was 10.0, not 10.1.

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Friday 02 June 2006 23:57, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> I hired a fellow to help me when I started this project who had been
> successful at installing LTSP (and a LOT of other things!) previously, and
> I trust his instincts. He found the SuSE package manager cumbersome, and
> the LTSP install didn't work; after a good long while of fiddling, there
> was no great progress on getting it going so we dumped it and started over.
> I had no great amount of experience with either distro (nor LTSP, which I
> was recommending to my customer) up 'til then, and was happy to follow the
> lead I was getting from my friend.

<snip>

> > > FYI, I had enough trouble with SuSE 10.1 that I wiped the system clean
> > > and started over with Debian stable. It's not perfect, either, but
> > > there were enough troubles with SuSE to make it worth changing over.
> >
> > Good sweeping general comment. So F(or) M(y) I(nformation) and probably
> > others, care to elaborate on what problems there were? Bearing in mind
> > that Suse 10.1 is not even a month old.

Thanks for that. Your opinion is ALWAYS correct (by definition) and I respect
it and have no intention of trying to change it <smile>

My opinion is that SuSE's package manager is rather good, much easier than
RedHat type and for me much more suitable than the apt-get paradigsm, where I
need to build the SAME system many times over many years without needing to
test if anything broke *this iteration*. (with the app, not the OS)

Your answer identifies PFDFT (pilot flight deck finger trouble - I jest not)
as the problem, not <breathes easier> some Grave Problem with SuSE 10.1
James