On Tuesday 06 June 2006 21:04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> a) My server has 2 soundcards, MB and SB which drives speakers. ubuntu
> configured MB as 1st card, SB as second. I want to reverse them so all the
> sound apps that default to /dev/dsp run the speakers. How ?

Ubuntu is mostly repackaged Debian Unstable ... run alsaconf and choose the
device you want as primary. If that doesn't work, you can put an entry for
index= in the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file.

> b) I want to run the server in CLI mode, but have GUI mode available. (I
> know ... don't ask) ie telinit 3, telinit 5 or id:5:initdefault:

If this is going to be an LTSP server, you will need to edit
your /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and disable the :0 screen on VT7 but still leave the
XDMCP parts running. You can then "startx" as a normal user to get a
graphical environment.