Every so often, we cannot log into any of the terminals because the
ownership of /tmp/.ICE-unix has changed from root to someone else.

It is easy enough to set back to root ownership, but I'm not sure what
keeps causing it to change to that of a user.  It generally becomes
owned by my son's account, but that be just be a result of him being the
one who logs in on the terminal the most.

Is there some configuration setting I have wrong that is causing this to
happen?

gentoo linux
LTSP 4.1
KDE 3.5