I tried to get PulseAudio working not too long ago, but I couldn't get
all the pieces working.  There are a lot of moving parts.  I think
several options were discussed for networking audio in the next version
of LTSP.  One way would be to create a backend for ALSA that also
allowed an adaptor for esd as well.  Many new apps are being written for
ALSA, and ALSA provides oss wrappers.  I've read on lists that it should
be theoretically possible, but I haven't seen even proof-of-concepts, so
I'm cautiously optimistic.

It seems like the best way, however, would be for all these apps to use
the SDL library for audio, which can wrap any backend and is
cross-platform.  On my debian machine, I just installed the SDL esd
package, and games like frozen bubble work great through network ESD.
Maybe it doesn't offer the audio/video sync required for some apps, however.

-Todd