Jim McQuillan wrote:
> Antony,
>

> Hostname / IP-address mapping is done either by /etc/hosts, or by DNS.
>
> DHCP can send a hostname to the workstation.  Either it will send the
> hostname specified inside the 'host ws001 { ... }' entry in dhcpd.conf,
> if you have 'use-host-decl-names on;'.

Yes, but what's the point of sending a hostname to the workstation
without storing the hostname in /etc/hosts or DNS?

NB I just noticed that host ws001 by itself does not ensure the machine
is called ws001 - one needs to use the server-name directive.  I see
this in the dhcpd.conf man page as well.  :)

> OR, it will lookup the hostname
> from either /etc/hosts or DNS, if you have 'get-lease-hostnames true;'
> in dhcpd.conf.

Right.  I have a .local domain for this anyway so it will make sense to
use this approach.

> I've always recommended using a /etc/hosts file for your mapping,
> basically, because I didn't want to get into the support headache of
> helping people setup their dns tables.  It's not rocket science, but it
> can be a real mess, depending on how people want things.
>
> If you have a bunch of workstations and only 1 server, then a /etc/hosts
> file is the easy way to go.  If you have multiple servers, then keeping
> your hosts file in sync can become a problem, in which case using DNS is
> a good way to go.
>
> And, if you do go with DNS, then you'll need a domainname, or something
> like .local or .ltsp.  It almost doesn't matter what you pick, so long
> as it doesnt' conflict with other sites you might want to contact.

I'm quite familiar with .whatever.local domains in bind, so would have
no problem with that - it's just the integration of LTSP I need to get
right.

Has anyone tried to integrate avahi / mdns with LTSP?  Sort of a
peer-to-peer .local DNS.  Outside my LTSP world, it's replacing my
traditional .local DNS zones.