On Saturday 10 March 2007 01:07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> > > Thanks for the advice with svn. I'll try to find out more about it.
> > > Maybe we try it this way, though the Xen solution Chris Fanning
> > > proposed has its own special charme :-)
> >
> > Some time ago I found an article about using svk to manage /etc like
> > this. It doesn't put .svn directories around like svn does.
>
> Although slightly going OT, can someone point me to an arcticle or HOWTO
> about putting /etc under version control and how to set up the repository
> for a whole bunch of servers?

Although there are many good points svn is NOT a version control system.
cvs would be a better option...

EG The same managed etc/passwd on three systems could be release 13, 17, 18
whereas under cvs it would be 1.18 on every box, and that passwd file would
always be 1.18

"what version of passwd are you using?" 13 tells you nothing!
1.18 tells you "the version where we added billy"
James