This patch has one more change which fixed a problem here.  When adding
a floppy device, if the mount point already exists, the device seemed
empty.  Recently, we had a situation where a user was able to put 22MBin
the correct floppy directory, but the floppy wasn't fully mounted (so
the files were on the hard drive).   When the files were removed and the
system was rebooted, the floppy would still not mount (hence this new
patch to add rmdir).  I'm not sure what led to the original problem: it
may have been a severely corrupt floppy.

Regarding the alternate mount points in this patch: they are intended
for systems that NFS with root squash enabled for /home.

Andrew