John, thank you for your reply.

The LOCAL_DEVICE_0x entries are from 4.1, and the wiki page doesn't
mention them.  A couple other pages I found did, so I put them in there.

Originally, I just had:
        LOCAL_STORAGE           = Y
in lts.conf (as per the wiki page), but that didn't work for the USB
key, either...

I have disabled the 15-ltsp-block.rules entry for the floppy drive, but
the line:
KERNEL=="sd[a-z][1-4]", RUN+="/etc/udev/scripts/ltsp-device.sh %s{size}"
is still intact.

I don't know much about udev rules, but if the KERNEL definition of
"sd[a-z][1-4]" corresponds to entries in /dev, there are no /dev/sd*
entries...

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
        Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.