Faraz Khan wrote the following on 07/16/2007 02:10 AM:
> I wonder how well SSH compression fares? as far as I can tell it only
> works with ssh protocol ver 1 so I wonder if the NETWORK_COMPRESSION
> variable in ldm actually does anything. I heard somewhere that it comes
> close to NX like on this page:
>
> http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/HOWTO:_Install_MueKow_on_Ubuntu
>
> It actually claims SSH compression is better than NX? Has anybody tested
> this?
>
> If that is actually true then high powered thin clients are a
> requirement for both NX and LTSP/SSH then I would rather go with
> LTSP/SSH as thats a far cleaner solution.

NX has several levels of compression.  You might a nxclient
configuration of zero disk space and 128mb of RAM usage coupled with no
encryption and set for LAN speeds.   I wouldn't look for much of a
performance boost on the LAN, but consider what happens when the user
turns off the thin client.  Or moves to another location and wants to
access his Firefox session from another desktop.  FreeNX can be
detatched from and rejoined later from another location.  Session
persistence, I like to think of it as.

Thanks for sharing the results of your work.  I hope to travel in some
of your footsteps running NX technologies on the thinclients.

Sincerely,
Joe Baker