Faraz Khan wrote the following on 07/18/2007 03:01 AM:
> Jim,
> You are completely correct. What about the NETWORK_COMPRESSION in ltsp5
> - which uses ssh compression.  How well does that fare compared to NX?

The NX approach provides intelligent compression of the X11 protocol
headers, employes effective caching of common graphic elements  and
supresses most of the usual round trip traffic normally associated with
X11 traffic.

On top of this, there is lower CPU overhead than traditional ZLIB
compression.
The differences are massive in NX's favor.
My experience with the technology is that there are some occasional
quirks that need to be worked out.  I mostly work with the FreeNX
implementation 0.6.0.1.  But I also have a machine that runs Nomachine's
Free Server for Linux (2 user license).    I think some of the problems
I experience are due to the fact that I run multiple instances of the
NXClient talking to accounts on various machines.

-Joe Baker