On Wednesday 15 August 2007 03:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> > I have discovered that Debian systems have a raft of package
> > installers.
> >
> > So far, dpkg is the only one I've found to support installing
> > into a different place in the tree.
> >
> > So:  To install foo into /opt/ltsp/i386:
> >
> > On server:  aptitude install foo
> >
> > Aptitude will download foo and any dependencies, and leave the
> > packages in /var/cache/apt/archives
> >
> > Now I can run
> > dpkg --root=/opt/ltsp/i386 --install /var/cache/apt/archives/foo*
> >
> > Usually this will fuss, becuase not all the dependencies will
> > match.  Rerun the command several times, adding packages.
>
> Getting late and I'm not sure I exactly follow what you are doing here, but
> here is a suggestion.
>
> Assuming this is all being done on a Debian based server and probably
> LTSP5.. Can you "sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list
> /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/apt/sources.list" then "chroot /opt/ltsp/i386" then
> "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get install foo"?
>
> If this isn't using LTSP5 and my suggestion is way off, provide a little
> more detail so those with some knowledge on the list can better help you
> :-)

I thought that the point, the whole point and nothing but the point of the
chroot environment was so that you could (your choice of package management
tool) apt-get install wossname.
(after chroot)

So loading wosname on to the server first is wrong.
Trying to run a server without root passwd is dumb (sudo bla bla etc)
[actually I've never even tried chroot except as root. Can it be done ?]
James