Progress report:

Synopsis:  I want to run ntfs-3g on the client to allow me to do
a windows install while the computer is in use as a linux terminal.

1.  Installing onto the client space.

A.  Using aptitude I install ntfsprogs and nfts-3g on the server.
B.  I ran ldd against all the programs in /usr/bin/ntfs*
D.  Using this list, I copied the programs, and the libraries
mentioned to /opt/ltsp/i386/ to corresponding directories.
(Actually:  tar -cf - /usr/lib/{library-rootname*} | tar -C
/opt/ltsp/i386 -xvf -
checking after shows the links do the right thing.
E.  I ssh'd into a client.

F.  cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV hda
This reports that since udev is active device nodes are made in
/dev/.static/dev/  Checked there, and all the hda* devices are
created.

G.  mkdir /windows; ntfsmount /dev/.static/dev/hda1 /windows
Doesn't happen.

So the question: is it ntfs-3g or is it udev.

Try fdisk /dev/.static/dev/hda.
Can't open device.

This implies that I don't understand the LTSP environment.
Hints appreciated.