William Cody wrote:
> To address a couple of issues:
>
> With LTSP or diskless workstations there is no hard drive in the
> systems.

Not to quibble, but some LTSP clients do have hard disks which hold an
etherboot image to get the booting process started. I thought you were
referring to something like that.

> The boot off of an application server via PXE boot or network
> boot.  On the application server there is an lts.conf file that points
> the diskless workstation to the NIS server to autheticate the user.

The NIS stuff in lts.conf should only be necessary for running local apps, it
shouldn't affect the initial login. The application server itself is what
handles the initial login.

> I am moving off of NIS and going to LDAP for authetication.  I have
> already setup authetication in the system-config-authentication.  I have
> everything running almost perfectly because LDAP autheticates the users
> on the DISKED workstation (computer that has a hard drive and is running
> FC6).

Have you setup the application server with LDAP authentication? Can you login
to the application server's console as an LDAP authenticated user?

I have my application server setup to authenticate to an LDAP server and did
not need to make any modifications to the lts.conf file.

> The DISKLESS workstation booting off of the application server
> via PXE is the one I cannot login to with my users.  The reason I cant
> login is because I am not sure what to put in the lts.conf file to point
> the workstation in the right direction to get the credentials for that
> users (ie: username and password).  Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> */Steve Cayford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:
>
>     As far as I know the diskless clients shouldn't need to know
>     anything about
>     the authentication scheme. That's all handled by your pam setup on
>     the server.
>
>     When you say "disked" workstation, do you mean a workstation booting
>     a full
>     Linux distro off the hard drive or some sort of etherboot situation?
>
>     -Steve
>
>     William Cody wrote:
>     > I am having some issues that I am hoping can be
>     > resolved here. I have setup a LDAP test environment
>     > and it is going very good. This is what I have in my
>     > test environemtn:
>     >
>     > LDAP master
>     > LDAP slave
>     > 2 types of DISKLESS workstations (no hard drive....pxe
>     > boot)
>     > 1 DISKED workstation (has a hard drive)
>     >
>     > I have my LDAP master and slave both up and running
>     > and replication working between the master and the
>     > slave. I am wanting to use LDAP to authenticate user
>     > login for the time being. In my test environment I
>     > have two types of machine I am testing this on - a
>     > DISKED workstation (has a harddrive) which I am able
>     > to login to and have my username authenticated via
>     > LDAP, so it is working fine. The one I am having an
>     > issue with is my DISKLESS workstation. I don't know
>     > what I need to add to my lts.conf file to tell it to
>     > use ldap for user authentication. Any suggestions
>     > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>     >
>     >

Steven Cayford