I'm stuck.

I have set up a "pure" x86_64 system using Fedora 8 with no i386 libraries at
all.

I have set up LTSP 4.2 on this machine and my terminal boots up to the point
where it should load gdm and at that point I get the infamous grey screen with
an X in the middle.

I went through my gdm configuration -- xdmcp is set to true and everything else
matches the gdm configuration on my Centos 5 machine that's also a ltsp 4.2
server.

"netstat -ap | grep xdmcp" shows me this:

udp    96696      0 *:xdmcp   *:*   2350/gdm-binary

Here is my lts.conf:

# Config file for the Linux Terminal Server Project (www.ltsp.org)
#

[Default]
        SERVER             = 192.168.0.2
        XSERVER            = auto
        X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "ImPS/2"
        X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"
        X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
        X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 3
        USE_XFS            = N
        USE_NBD_SWAP = N
        SCREEN_01          = startx
        X_HORZSYNC = 31.47-80
        X_VERTREFRESH = 59-61
        # X_VERTREFRESH = 56.25-75
        X_DEVICE_OPTION_01 = NoAccel
        #X_MODE_0 = 1280x1024
        X_DPMS = Y
        X_DPMS_STANDBYTIME = 600
        X_DPMS_SUSPENDTIME = 900
        X_DPMS_OFFTIME = 1200

This is the same lts.conf that was working fine for me with this terminal and
this very same computer using Fedora 7/i386.  I just commented out the
USE_NBD_SWAP line and X_MODE_0 to make it "generic" until I get this working
for the first time.  (As mentioned above, ltspswapd will be the next as-yet
unresolved challenge, but it makes sense to get it going without that first.)

 Thinking that perhaps LTSP requires glibc.i386 (because it has an i386
subdirectory) I installed glibc.i386 but that made no difference.

So..... am I missing something?  Do I require more i386 libraries than just
glibc to make this work?

Everything works normally up until I should see the GDM screen....