Forgot to look in .xsession-errors.  I couldn't believe login would
fail without some error logged someplace.

Xsession: X session started for moseley at Tue Nov 13 09:45:16 PST 2007
No profile for user 'moseley' found
===== BEGIN MILESTONES (/usr/sbin/sabayon-apply) =====
MainThread 2007/11/13 09:45:16.4678 (sabayon-apply): Fatal exception!  Exiting
abnormally.

It was Sabayon.  I had apt-get installed it yesterday while waiting
for something to compile.

Sabayon starts an xnest session, but unlike the docs at:

    http://www.rd.cri74.org/repository/gnome/doc_sabayon_v2_english.pdf
    http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/sabayon

I enter a profile name and edit edit or create and then an xnest
window starts.  But, unlike the examples above, they I end up with a
empty desktop.  I don't the the "All Your Settings Are Belong To Us"
where I can check the Ignore/Mandatory check boxes.  That is, I don't
see:

    http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog-images/sabayon/sabayon-8.png

Are the docs for an older version?

--