Hi Chris,

> What have others done - or are you all in the enviable position of being able
> to go 100% open source?

At work I have no change to do something this way so far, but at home I
give my best to do so.

Currently I have this:
one LTSP server (debian based: etch + LTSP5) with 3 clients so far.
All clients have a local installation at this stage of implementation, too:
For the kids: a local win98 (for some education games)
For myself: a debian installation with nvidia graphic card (for blender
and VariCAD)

What I want/need/miss is still this, to have a LTSP only solution:
-Testing to run the openGL Apps in LTSP
-perfecly the same you search for:
how to I get rid of the need of local win Installations?

No success so far. I tried to do I locally first:
vmware, virtualbox: sound problems, graphic problems
wine: 2 of 3 apps don't work (lot of time would be required for debugging)
Qemu: to slow
cedega: see wine

all others need a win server install: to expensive for home use (licence
and el. energie)

so I got stuck with every attempt so far :-(

I thin I found some ideas in your mail...

so long Frank