Hi,

> > I wondering just how practical this idea is. LTSP seems to be very
> > remote boot orientated. Do yo really think this is a good idea?
> > I has a look at http://lessdisks.carookee.com/ at the doc says that it
> > isn't continued because the developer 'Vagrant Cascadian' is now
> > maintaining the LTSP5 debian packages.
>
> Chris for me the advantage would be remote boot is exactly the same as
> local boot. All ltsp-5 development applies and occasionally updating the
> squash image is quick and easy. I just don't have the time now to
> impliment this as a fully fledged public offering (I boot to ram for
> other reasons: remote location, guaranteed restart, frequent power outs)

I'm also pondering these same thoughts. Let's see if you think I'm on
the right track.

If I have a remote office with no server then dhcp, ltspfs, lts.cfg,
etc, would be no use to me unless I have a tunnel set up (right?). And
to set up a tunnel, I need to have acces to the remote router. If I'm
relying on a tunnel, then I can't simply ship a thinclient off to any
remote site and expect it to work.

So, perhaps the tunnel idea would make it worth while to use ltsp5,
but in my case, I don't have access to the router so perhaps it's not
my case. (agreed?)

Then maybe I'm better off doing a small debian installation in a
squashfs and mounting it with a rw flash partition with unionfs as
Oliver suggests.

Anyway, at the moment I've got as far as ltsp5 going on the flash and
presenting LDM. ! :) But (excuse me if I'm wrong), the OS is expecting
$SERVER to work properly.

Any thought would be kindly welcome.

Thanks.
Chris.