Hi,

I've managed to get LTSP to boot (to prompt) from the flash drive
although I'm still a long way from getting things going as they
should.

This is what I did.

---------------------
Use debootstrap to avoid installing a real LTSP installation on your PC.

# debootstrap --arch i386 etch /opt/ltsp.testbed http://ftp.rediris.es/debian/
# chroot /opt/ltsp.testbed

# apt-get install ltsp-server openssh-server
# ltsp-build-client

Now, from within the jail we've got the LTSP OS at /opt/ltsp/i386/
# du -sh /opt/ltsp/i386
434M   i386

Take a moment to change the root password
# chroot i386
# passwd
# exit

LTSP wants to boot with nfsroot. Change it

# apt-get install initramfs-tools
# grep BOOT /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
# BOOT=local

# ln -s /opt/ltsp/i386/lib/modules/2.6.18-5-486 /lib/modules
# mkinitramfs -o  /opt/ltsp/i386/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-486 2.6.18-5-486

Backup your OS.
# cp -a /opt/ltsp/i386 /otp/ltsp/i386.orig

Exit the jail.

Prepare the disk on the client. Boot from a distro like
http://damnsmalllinux.org/ from an external CD, then:

# cfdisk /dev/hdc
# reboot

Reboot from the CD and format the partition.

# mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdc1

Copy LTSP-client OS to the partition.

# mount /dev/hdc1 /ltsp
# mkdir /pc
# mount pc:/opt/ltsp.testbed/opt/ltsp/i386/ /pc
# cp -av /pc/* /ltsp/
# umount /pc

Install GRUB and configure.

# grub-install --root-directory=/ltsp /dev/hdc1

# vi /ltsp/boot/grub/menu.lst
default ltsp-local
timout 4
title ltsp-local
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-486 root=/dev/hdc1 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-486
boot

Reboot from the flash, then.

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0,0)

Now reboot from the flash again and you get the ltsp prompt.

I haven't got X going. The image is very big. df shows lots of files
and directories mounted on a tmpfs.

Where would you go from here?

Thanks.
Chris.