This sounds quite promising. I had worked recently on Debian and Ltsp 5 too. I
also used the backports for the Etch system. Could you post your
/etc/sources.list for your LTSP sources. That would be helpful.
As Szabo wrote, Local Device support is only avaiable with ldm. So I am
wondering, how you can have local devices working without ldm? Which ltspfs and
ltspfsd packages did you install?
If you have some other machines avaiable, you could use an indirect xserver to
spread the average load for the machines. That's what we are working at.

Peter Stein
RBG-Group
LS Delft
LMU Munich