jam wrote:

 > On Saturday 01 March 2008 05:09:06 , I wrote
 > Things work fine until I run the following command
 > (per the pivot_root man page):
 >
 > exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' \
 >     < dev/console > dev/console 2>&1
 >
 > Then I get a error:
 >
 > bash: dev/console: Permission denied

jam replied:

 > sudo sh
 > passwd
 > login as root

Tried it. On one machine, I logged in as root
but got the same error. On two other machines,
I could not mount nfs as root because of timeout
errors (although I could mount nfs using sudo -
any ideas here?). On one of those machines,
I mounted with sudo, logged in as root and
executed the pivot_root sequence. Same error
as before (Permission denied) at the exec chroot.

Any suggestions?

john