On Wednesday 19 March 2008 04:12:38 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> >> The client could
> >> have knowledge of the server's IP so there should be no necessity for a
> >> dhcp-server running. Am I correct in this assumption?
> >
> > Among other things, the dhcp server is responsible for telling the client
> > where to obtain the files to boot from (via tftp).
>
> OK, so then LTSP is not for me, I guess ...
>
> Or is it possible to setup a not-so-clean ltsp client, which "knows" of
> the ip-address of the server. The pc I have in mind for this has a
> hard-disk on board so I could well install a portion of the system on
> the client to get around the fact that dhcp on the ltsp-server is not
> possible - as there's already another dhcp-server in the network.

There is no point in doing it this way.

Install a system - you choose - gutsy - dsl - knoppix even ltsp5 chroot (you
need to do some work, but it's small and works)

Access your LTSP server using ldm or xdmcp

If your problem is 'there's already another dhcp-server in the network' there
are many solutions, give details to get suggestions or look at
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/WebHome

James