I want to deploy LTSP in a situation where there is a pre-existing
DHCP server. From what I've read, the way to make this work involves
running a DHCP server on a different port and compiling a custom
kernel for LTSP with the DHCP client set to retrieve its data on that
port.

I've found some documentation, including this:
http://ltsp.sourceforge.net/contrib/parallel_dhcp.txt, which mentions
ltsp_initrd_kit. But this appears to be available for LTSP 4 only.

Is it possible to compile a custom kernel for LTSP 5? Are there
idiot-proof instructions anywhere? Or is there an easier way to
accomplish what I need?

I'm running LTSP 5.0.40 on Ubuntu 8.04.

Sean
--