Hi Carl,

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Carl wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 16:45 +0200, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>>
>> No, no, Carl - just install on the server. As soon as it's there, all
>> clients will benefit from it ;-) as far as users logging in on the
>> clients have the right to use the new app.
>>
>> Think of the clients as clones of the monitor connected to the server.
>> It's actually ONE machine serving MANY users concurrently.
>>
> In that case do I need to manually install the Nvidia drivers/etc/ as
> apt-get wants to remove xorg-driver-fglrx?

Normally what Rolf wrote is true, but I think in this case he didn't read
your original email very carefully.  Software like the drivers and
configuration for video cards and clients actually will be running
directly on the LTSP clients and thus do need to be installed differently
than "just install it on the server".  Fortunately with LTSP5 it's much
easier to do than before.  Here's the basic idea (at least on Ubuntu):

% sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
      (or replace with the directory your clients use)
# apt-get update
# apt-get install <packages you want>
# exit
% sudo ltsp-update-image -a i386
      (assuming you're using 32-bit clients)
- reboot terminal machine

Then you should have new software installed for client to use.  Note that
you may need to do some configuration in the /opt/ltsp/i386 area to get
your new software to do what you want (followed by rebuilding the disk
image).

> After I get passed this step I am assuming I need to setup a custom
> xorg.conf file for the clients.

Yes, LTSP5 in Ubuntu does not have any built-in support for dual-monitor
setups via lts.conf.

Note that another option for you may be to use the open source 'nv' driver
and X RandR to get dual-monitor support the open source way.  That likely
would mean that you wouldn't have to mess with installing additional
software for the clients.  Check out the links collected on this page for
more info:

   http://www.x.org/wiki/Projects/XRandR

Jason