Hi Chris,

thanks for your ideas.

Chris Roberts schrieb:
> On Wednesday 09 Jul 2008, Stefan U. Hegner wrote:
>
>> Typical symtoms: Especially Acroread shifts to extreme slow motion and
>> icedove (thunderbird) takes ages to move mails from folder to folder.
>> Other software also feels significantly slower, but these two are the
>> worst and most observed.
>>
> Another shot in the dark, in Acroread options, switch off Fast Web View and
> ensure that, if you have a proxy server, it is stated in the proxy settings.
> This needs to be done for all users.

I don't have a proxy and I don't believe that I will gain performance by
setting up squid on the same machine. Regarding the Fast Web View you
are talking about:

EDIT--> PREFERENCES --> INTERNET --> Web Browser Options

    Allow fast Web view

Right? What exactly does this option? The second option in this section
looks also suspicious:

    Allow speculative downloading in the background

When browsing through all the settings I also found

EDIT--> PREFERENCES --> DOCUMENTS --> Save Settings

    Save as optimizes for fast Web view

Though this is likely to be only of minor importance.

Anyhow I'll try switching off Fast Web View and Speculative Downloading
for now. - Let's see, if that brings about some change.

Tanks

Stefan.

--
Stefan U. Hegner