Hmm, I wonder if there are some security settings in XDMCP or gdm.conf
that are specific to Mandriva.  I have used SCREEN_02=shell on a few
LTSP 4.2 systems and haven't experienced the problem you're having
(Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, and I think Mandrake 10.0).  I don't know what
could be causing it.

-Rob