On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 06:35:37PM +0100, Csillag Kristóf wrote:
> I am looking for an easy way to provide slightly different
> root file-systems for my LTSP clients under Debian.
>
> I would like to avoid creating separate installations, since
> only a few files need to be different.
>
> I assume there is already a mechanism in place in LTSP
> to replace (or "cover") some files with dynamic content
> on boot.

not really.

there is the rw_dirs, copy_dirs, and bindfiles functionality in the
thin-client's /etc/init.d/ltsp-client-setup, but that's not a per-machine
thing.

> What would be the easiest way to extend this mechanism,
> so that several libraries and binaries can be diverted
> selectively, based on the client hostname?

selectively diverying libraries and binaries sounds like a bad idea, in
general, unless done using the package management tools...

you could write a script using RCFILE_NN in lts.conf that does whatever crazy
things you want, and it will be executed when /etc/init.d/ltsp-client-setup is
run at boot.

you might want to use the NBD+squashfs+aufs option (ltsp-build-client
--squashfs-image), as aufs will make any file effectively writeable.
this would allow you to install packages at boot time, for example. it
isn't as well tested as the default behavior on Debian (NFS+bind mounts
of selected files and directories).

live well,
  vagrant