Hi all,

I have an interesting problem:

since the recent update of 2.6.26 kernel in Debian,
I can not boot my Lenny LTSP5 clients.
(I am happy that I have kept the LTSP4.2 installation,
so I am not completely broken.)

The system used to work, and I have not changed
the configuration recently, I have just apt-get upgraded
the kernel, and thus the initramfs was re-generated.

Here is what happens:
DHCP and TFTP do their part properly, and the
initramfs is booted. The NBD device is
successfully set up (it says "negitiation: <size>"
bs= <whatever>  sz=<whatever>,

but then:

can not mount /dev/nbd0 on /rofs: no such file or device

..and I get an initramfs prompt.

The /dev/nbd0 device is correctly set up:

I can do dd if=/dev/nbd0 of=/tmp/test.image bs=1M couny=10
without any problems.

The mount mount /rofs does exist.

I do not know why the mount fails.
(If I try to mount /dev/nbd0 to anywhere else,
it fails agian, with the same error message.)

One more interesting piece of information:

there was a period of 2-3 days when
my 2.6.66-1-i486 kernel image/initramfs image combination worked fine,
but the 2.6.26-1-i686 kernel exhibited this problem. Therefore, I am sure
that the nbd server is OK, and this is a client-side problem, but I have
no idea what goes wrong, and I did not have the time to debug it until so
far. (I just kept using the i486 kernel, which worked.)

Now that there was a kernel update (2.6.26-10), the 486 image stopped
working, too. (I do not suspect a kernel bug; I guess something
is wrong with the contents of the initramfs.)

   * * *

Has anyone else encountered the same problem?
How do I debug this?

Thank you for your help:

    Kristof Csillag