JF,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM, JF Straeten <jfstrae...@scarlet.be> wrote:

> But now, I begin to think that you could also well be after something
> different, like :
>
> - a boot server (providing the kernel and the initial ramdisk to the
>  TCs) ;

yes, I call it "host"

> - a "root" server (providing root image through NBD) ;
>
> - an application server (providing the desktops and the applications
>  to the TC's users - eventualy residing on the same machine as the
>  root server).

yes, this is on a VM

> In others words, do you want to split the multiserver setup between
> machines *before* the point where it is habitualy done with LTSP, as
> pointed out by this afternoon suggested readings ?

Exactly. The reason for this: VMs come and go, diskless setup on
client is much easier to accomodate with that. But general services
provided to all VMs (DHCP, DNS, HTTP cache/proxy) belong to the
"host".

> If you're after that septup, I'm not sure if it's possible... (At
> first sight, I see no means to give the TC's a root server different
> from the boot server.)

Basically, is there is a way to tell the boot scripts running on the
client to ignore the IP of the boot server, and try to mount NBD
somewhere else? Can this be done via kernel parameters that I set in
the pxelinux.cfg?

What I am trying to achieve in general:

There is a headless host running various VMs. There is a separate PC
(or several of them) used for interactive stuff. Once turned on, the
PC gets the PXE boot menu from the host. Then, either local boot (from
PC's own HD), or a diskless boot may be chosen depending on the
purpose. Diskless boot may target one VM or another as provider of
root filesystem and applications. But the boot server is always the
same, the "host". Ideally all I had to do to enable another booting
method, would be to copy necessary image files (kernel, initrd) to the
TFTP directory on the host, and update the pxelinux.cfg menu items.

So IMHO this could be considered for LTSP as a feature: specify NBD or
NFS root path in the kernel boot parameters obtained from pxelinux.

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web