JF,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:41 PM, JF Straeten <jfstrae...@scarlet.be> wrote:

>> So IMHO this could be considered for LTSP as a feature: specify NBD or
>> NFS root path in the kernel boot parameters obtained from pxelinux.
>
> I see what you mean, but after thinking a bit at this setup, of course
> in respect with your purpose, I don't see why you would separate the
> boot server from the root server...
>
> Do you see any advantage or necessity to do that ?

Yes, because basically I am trying to solve a more general task: to
consolidate all diskless boot management in one place: on the host
which is always the same. I treat VMs as something disposable.

> The client's kernel and root filesystem (be it chroot or NBD image)
> are not called to change frequently. So, this two functions can be
> assumed together by the same machine (or same VM, as I do it here in a
> Xen DomU in fact).

I use KVM, so distinction between 0/U domains is different, and the
"host" domain can take up more functionality than Xen Dom0.

Perhaps I'll have to install nbd server on the host domain (and
besides, the host is Arch Linux*, and I am not planning to change
that: VMs allow me have various distros in parallel) and copy the
LTSP's NBD image to the host. Then, suppose I have a second instance
of LTSP (or like) on another VM. Since the host already uses some port
for NBD, I'll have to assign some other port, therefore more
customization of per-VM LTSP configuration, etc. If root servers are
on different VMs (hence on different IPs) I don't care about port
numbers.

I wish I could do more with kernel boot parameters to control the LTSP
client boot.

>From the practical standpoint: which part of client boot scripts is
responsible for DHCP response treament and locating the NBD root?
Maybe I can fix somehting there to use kernel boot parameters (that I
can specify in the pxelinux menu)?

Thank you.

* and it looks like nbd is "unsupported" on Arch Linux, of course I
can compile it myself...

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web