From: Tim Shelley [mailto:tim_j_shel...@hotmail.com]
Sent: 17 February 2009 14:39
To: 'ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Problem with LTSP Fat Client

Hi All,

I've recently been asked to come up with a Server/Client solution on Ubuntu
and came across the following seemingly simple Server/Fat Client setup:

http://www.nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client
-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid

I installed and setup the thin client to get a basic understanding of the
technology, this worked first time but I'm having issue with the fat client.

I had to remove mplayer and real_player etc. from the fat client plugin
script because the Ubuntu repositories it uses did not have them. Once I had
cleared that hurdle I was able to build create the fati386 and build image.

When the client boots the gdm never starts, I get a blank screen with a '_'
character in the top left hand corner. If I go to Ctrl+Alt F1 - I can see it
has paused on 'Starting Gnome Display Manager' it never gets to [OK].

I've seen places in forums/blogs etc. where they have said to add a
startgdm.sh script to the fati386 and add it to lts.conf, this calls 'gdm
restart' and then a call to 'gdm'.

I've done this in fati386 and rebuilt it. The problems are:

-          It still starts up with a '_' in the top left hand corner

-          The GDM seems to load and the screen and cursor appears but then
it goers back to '_'

-          I have to hit Ctrl+Alt F7 to switch to the GDM login screen

-          The GDM shows the login screen, the mouse works but the keyboard
does nothing. As soon as I press a key it looks like it just crashes the
GDM.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Tim