Actually, some of these services work perfectly well on Amazon's EC2**
Step 1 is clearly a problem, it's clearly impossible for DHCP to happen over
the internet.

but Amazon EC2 instances can run any (linux) software that uses real TCP or
UDP for network transport:
so it should possible to get TFTP -- it's not *designed* to go over the net,
so it's probably going to be
surprisingly slow.
NFS is also known to be painfully slow over the net.

The good news is, ssh works just fine. And at least if you're using the
(proprietary) NX server from NoMachine, a real Gnome desktop works fine
too-- when I tried it, it ran firefox faster than my laptop -- presumably
you can get more-or-less the same performance with an open source X
protocol.

Jesse Wolfe

Stephen,