I am trying to setup a "hybrid" client -- in my case a netbook -- that
can work in both fat and thin modes:

"Fat mode" client:

When disconnected from the network the client runs like a normal "fat"
Linux laptop.  It boots from local disk, runs apps locally and uses
local disk's home dir (user files, profiles etc.)

"Thin mode" client:

When connected to the network the client boots off the network like a
normal thin client, runs applications on the server like a thin client
etc.  The big exception to the normal thin client here is that I want
the server to use the client disk user's home directory.  That way all
the user's files are accessible in both modes, and applications work
similarly in both modes.

The benefit of the "thin mode" client is the performance improvement.
The laptop I plan to use will have minimal CPU and RAM -- adequate for
occasional use, but not as a regular workstation.

I have done some searching and it appears this is something no one has
attempted.  Is such a thing possible?  If so, any advice as to how to
implement?

Thanks,

Jeff