On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 02:05:50PM -0500, Scott Balneaves wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:21:55PM -0400, Dan Maranville wrote:
> > Gotta love it that Long Term Support. Trust me it will not be the last
> > time you curse it. </rant>
>
> I'm really unsure as to why Ubuntu gets all this hate directed against them
> because they don't backport new features from more current releases into older
> ones.  As far as I know, LTSP current isn't being backported into either
> Fedora
> 3 or Debian Sarge.

That's not a really fair comparison, since Ubuntu 8.04 is still a current
release.  Fedora 3 and Sarge are not.  There are active LTSP backports for
Debian Lenny (the current "stable" release -- analagous to Ubuntu LTS).

In Debian I can pretty easily run the stable release and install select
packages from testing or unstable.  For packages with a lot of dependencies, it
might not be easy, but I've had pretty good success with commands like:

apt-get install openoffice.org/testing
or
apt-get install -t testing openoffice.org

(both do slightly different things).  I've yet to try this with LTSP packages,
I must admit.

Can this be done in Ubuntu?  I don't currently have any Ubuntu machines that
I'm willing to experiment on.

-Rob