Le dimanche 19 juillet 2009 18:42:43, sAwAr a écrit :
> I'm new here so I have very basic questions.
> I have to decide which linux distribution choose for deploying LTSP 5. I'm
> considering Debian Lenny (i use Debian on other servers) and Ubuntu 9.04
> which should be easiest to configure.

It's a bit strange to compare a stable and freezed distribution (Debian Lenny)
and sort of an unstable one that you'll need to upgrade (Ubuntu 9.04).

LTSP is obviously more advanced (i.e. new features added) in Ubuntu 9.04 and
Debian Sid than in Debian Lenny.

I've personnally switched from Ubuntu to Debian Lenny last year ago.
I've started with Ubuntu because LTSP-5 was mainly developped by Ubuntu
peoples, and because it was better documented. That's not true now and AFAIK,
LTSP is quite the same in new Ubuntu releases, Debian Sid, OpenSuSE, etc.
In Debian Lenny LTSP has all the feature you need for a good desktop
experience - and KDE 3 is still in Lenny if you want it.

Another thing to consider is the desktop setup: Ubuntu comes with a good
simplified desktop. In Debian you might need to configure it yourself (hiding
some applications, decide what to install / remove...).

I often do a first install with ubuntu, to quickly test the network and the
hardware, as there is nothing to configure.

OpenSUSE kiwi-ltsp might be a god choice for you (clustering)
http://en.opensuse.org/LTSP

> I must be able to use:
> OpenOffice
> Ffirefox (flash, java and all multimedias)
> pdf's
> djvu's
> some printing system
> and probably sound on thin-clients

Everything works. Software versions are not the same, but you can deal with
backports.org for Debian.

> Are they some huge differences between ubuntu and lenny?

- There are differences in both server and clients parts.
- With some tweaks, you can use a clients from sid on lenny (for example).
- There is improvement in NBD, local applications and local printers support
in new LTSP versions.
- LTSP in next Ubuntu version (karmic) and Debian sid are quite the same (as
today).

> I'm worried about
> sound under lenny. Will it be problem to configure sound ?

The nightmare was the same :-)

regards,
Xavier
xav...@alternatif.org