We are using proxmox VE on our server for virtualisation, its free and its bare metal and rock solid. One VM is our ltsp and the other is our windows 2003 TS for the few windows applications and games the school needs. We have an 8 core dell with 24 gig and the main resource eater is windows if the kids play a educatonal game.

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

My 2 cents,

B.