What windows manager are you using?  I have had problems with gnome
settings not being recognized in FluxBox until you open the appropriate
preferences panel (mouse settings in my case).  The solution was to make
sure that gnome-settings-daemon was started.  In the case of FluxBox, I
put the following in the .fluxbox/startup file:

GSDPID=`pidof gnome-settings-daemon`
if [ "x$GSDPID" == "x" ]; then
  /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
fi