Antoine,

I am not sure how it was done(I did not do it and do not deem it
necessary in my situation here), but when I first started working at the
place I do now there were different programs available to users based on
their roles. This was all done in ltsp 4.2. From what I understand it is
actually done through kde, our ldap setup with the users roles defined
there and linux permissions.

so say for example a sales person would only have access to sales
specific tools, and if they tried to run a program they had access to
via the command line they would get blocked because the binary was not
executable by their group.

Then a purchasing emplyee would have a different set of options
available to them.

we use kde here so this was all visible through the kmenu

Grant