From: Verner Kjærsgaard [mailto:v...@os-academy.dk]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:12 AM
To: ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Ltsp-discuss] LTSP 4.2, still possible?

Hi list

Unfortunately I'm getting more desperate by the minute...I cannot seem
to solve the problem with

VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknwown-block(3,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option;

...and then kernel panic. This problem only occurs with my HP/Compaq
clients and ONLY with the new KIWI/LTSP5. The old LTSP4.2 works like a
breeze on the same clients. And I cannot  dump 20+ TC just like that.
The hardware requirements are considerably steeper with KIWI/LTSP5,
thereby obsoleting many older TCs.

Is LTSP4.2 still to get somewhere? I'd like to try to fire up an LTSP4.2
installation onto openSUSE11.2 if possible.

Hitherto I've not been very succesfull with KIW/LTSP5, most likely
because it can do more than I understand how to setup.

On other clients I've got terribly long LDM login times, no sound, LDM
login screens flashing and crashing.  All in all I'm not able to reap
the benefits of the new system.