I haven't had any issues using fluxbox with LTSP5.  We've got it setup
up with Debian Lenny at our office, and we're deploying it at a
non-profit this week using Ubuntu 9.10.  I think the startup times are
in the 5 - 10 second range, give or take.

Thanks for the startup file tip - I'll give that a try tomorrow.  I
realized after I posted that the LDM K script would execute on the
workstation and wouldn't be in a position to clean up the accounts.

-- Leon