Hello all,

      I am looking to setup a test environment for a LTSP setup. I have
done some looking and found a few distributions that have LTSP
"flavors". Of these which is the easiest to implement and maintain? To
better answer this question here are a few details I have worked out
that we will need:

We will start with normal pc's PXE booting, eventually migrating to
thin-clients
We will need a windows server backend that serves windows only programs
(possibly multiple)
We have remote offices that will need access to the LTSP server to work
(1 1.5Mx256k dsl and 2 T1)
Sound and local USB devices (mostly flash media adapters) will be a must
Must work with OpenLDAP authentication

I know Ubuntu is a well known LTSP compatible distribution. Also I think
I remember seeing a fedora one. Is there any that are better than the other?

The test will consist of only a handful of PC's. Eventually I would like
to, pending successful testing, roll this out to all 150+ users across
the state. Here is a breakdown of what we have if it helps also:

Main campus (all 1GB fiber between buildings and 100MB ports per pc): 60
Satellite campus (connected to main campus via 802.11G wireless bridge) 8
Remote location 1 (1.5M x 256k aDSL): 6
Remote location 2 (T1): 6
Remote location 3 (T1): 4
Remote location 4 (3M x 512k cable): 7
Remote location 5 (3M x 512k cable): 5
Users on various other networks (home dsl, and other varying networks): 4

So roughly 100 users will need to be on this setup when live. What would
be the hardware requirements for this many users? I do plan to use xen
to virtualize the environment and to help make it easier to be
redundant. Most users will need access to web-browsing and word
processing software. Some will need access to adobe products and a few
proprietary apps (those all will be running on the windows backends and
served via rdp IIRC). I want everything to run on the backend servers if
possible so it can be fully portable between clients.

Any pointers/advise is welcome.

Donny B.