Sometimes I've had problems, not so much on my LTSP server, but on my
home server with npviewer.bin not closing completely when FireFox
crashes.  When this happens it seems to lock up the channel to the pulse
server.  I can usually solve it with

sudo killall npviewer.bin

Of course, a reboot also fixes it.  So if you have tried that, never
mind.

Also, I note that you have fiddled with asound.conf.  My asound.conf was
provided by the alsa-lib package and looks like this:

#
# Place your global alsa-lib configuration here...
#

@hooks [
    {
        func load
        files [
            "/etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf"
        ]
        errors false
    }
]

and /etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf (provided by alsa-plugins-pulseaudio)
looks like this:

# PulseAudio plugin configuration
# $Id: pulse-default.conf,v 1.3 2008/03/09 15:50:49 lkundrak Exp $

# Let's create a virtual device "pulse" for mixer and PCM

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
    hint {
        description "PulseAudio Sound Server"
    }
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
    hint {
        description "PulseAudio Sound Server"
    }
}

# Let's make it the default!

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
    hint {
        description "Default"
    }
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
    hint {
        description "Default"
    }
}

and I have not modified either of these files--everything just worked
out of the box.

I also checked just now and it appears that alsa-plugins-pulseaudio is
also installed on the thin client image.  Doesn't seem like that would
be necessary, but there it is.

Scott

P. Scott DeVos
Member