Hi everyone

I'm in the process to update the server of one of my customers. It is a small
non-profit company.

Their current server is an old Intel 2,4GHz P4/Celeron (one core) with 512 Mb
of Ram and 3 IDE hard disks in Raid 6. It is setup with LTSP 5.1 on Debian
Lenny and a KDE 3.5.10 desktop.
There are 6 users on this server (it can grow to 10 users for short periodes),
using mainly kmail, konqueror, flash and OpenOffice.org.
Occasionally, they need to burn some CD and to play DVDs. They use the current
server to do that.
Thin clients are Artec ThinCan DBE62 (Atom CPU, 256 Mb Ram) and old PII
computers.

And it works, though a bit slowly since last year.

This year, they have lots of money to spend in buying a new server (and some
other equipments).

The server will run LTSP (Debian Squeeze) with KDE4 or Gnome
+ a virtualized Windows 2003 (or 2008) with 3 applications accessed seamlessly
with rdesktop.
+ a web proxy cache, because they have a very low ASDL line (squid ?)

But I didn't followed the list since june and I need some advices:

- I plan to buy a server with 2 CPUs (2 sockets) because of bandwith. I think
that multi-core CPUs are not sufficient. Am I wrong? in such a small company,
can a single 4 core CPU do the job?

- I want to use a SSD for the system and a NAS for homes directory and for
storage space of the proxy. Comments?

- where should I put the virtualized Windows? SSD or NAS?
- same question with the /tmp partitions.

- does anyone already tested LTSP with KDE4?

regards
Xavier
xav...@alternatif.org - 09 54 06 16 26