Le mercredi 3 novembre 2010 20:58:00, theluketaylor a écrit :
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Xavier Brochard <xav...@alternatif.org>
wrote:
> > I'm in the process to update the server of one of my customers. It is a
> > small non-profit company.
> > The server will run LTSP (Debian Squeeze) with KDE4 or Gnome
> > + a virtualized Windows 2003 (or 2008) with 3 applications accessed
> > seamlessly with rdesktop.
> > + a web proxy cache, because they have a very low ASDL line (squid ?)
> >
> > But I didn't followed the list since june and I need some advices:
> >
> > - I plan to buy a server with 2 CPUs (2 sockets) because of bandwith. I
> > think that multi-core CPUs are not sufficient. Am I wrong? in such a
> > small company, can a single 4 core CPU do the job?
>
> One thing to consider would be a xeon 56xx CPU which can be had in 6
> core/12 thread versions.  A lot cheaper than populating a whole second
> socket but 50% more horsepower than a 4 core CPU.  6 core also seems
> to fit nicely with your 6 users :)

yes, good point
I'm not very afraid of CPU power, except for flash or videos. Luckily the low
ASDL line will prevent them to see HD video on the web  ;-)

But what about the virtualized windows? I thought it need to send a lot of
datas to the CPU, and for that reason I thought that it is better to have 2
CPUs.

> don't force
> squid to cache over the network, it will be a pretty big bottleneck.
> Just buy a dedicated disk for squid, with 1 TB drives for less then
> $100 it's hard to go wrong and you don't really care if it dies.  Just
> drop another one in and wait for squid to re-populate.  In fact the
> quid guys recommend NOT using a RAIDed disk.

Thanks a lot. I didn't know that.

Xavier
xav...@alternatif.org - 09 54 06 16 26